Seared Salmon with Mandarin Lentil Salad
- 1 cup red lentils
- 1 Litre chicken stock
- 3 Delite mandarins,
- 2 sticks of celery, sliced on the diagonal
- 1 small red capsicum, seeded and sliced
- 4 spring onions, washed, trimmed and sliced
- Handful of coriander, roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup Avocado oil
- 2 Tbsp (40 ml) apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp wholegrain mustard
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ground white pepper, to taste
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 4 x Salmon fillets, skin on
- 1 lemon cut into 4 wedges
- Rinse lentils well under cold running water, drain and place in a saucepan over a medium heat with stock and juice of 1 Delite mandarin. Gently bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes until the lentils are just cooked, taking care not to overcook. Drain and set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, segment the remaining Delite mandarins for the salad. Slice the rest of the salad ingredients then place them in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the dressing ingredients to a separate bowl and whisk together.
- Preheat a non-stick frying pan to medium with oil. Rub salt over salmon just before cooking placing skin side down first and cook each side for 8 minutes or until just cooked through and still pink in the middle.
- Cover with foil and set aside whilst you assemble the Delite mandarin salad.
- Combine salad ingredients with cooked cooled lentils then pour over the dressing, mix to combine.
- Spoon salad evenly onto 4 dinner plates placing a salmon fillet on top. Garnish with a lemon wedge on the side.
- This lentil salad can be served whilst the lentils are still warm or served cold. It works well with chicken or duck as well.
- Lentils can be cooked with vegetable stock for a vegetarian option.